Saturday, March 30, 2013

Tour Guide Laura and Ellyn

My mom is here for the second week of spring break! She is staying with Mrs. Goncer at a hotel near where Ellyn lives.

This morning I took the train to Waterloo to meet them for breakfast. I thought we were meeting at the station, but Ellyn texted me saying they were at the restaurant already. Whoops! I ran through Waterloo trying to find the right tube to get me to Trafalgar Square. I couldn't remember the stop name or what line I was supposed to take, so I guessed. I guessed right! I made it to the restuarant in pretty good time. You know how when people live in big cities and they are running through a busy part of town trying to get to work on time? That's what it felt like. It was stressful, even though I was just meeting people for breakfast!

When we were done eating we went to Trafalgar Square since we were right there. We then made our way to Buckingham Palace (the Queen was not in), St. Jame's Park, the area where Volleyball was played in the Olympics and then saw Big Ben and Westminster Abbey.

I am a HUGE fan of the Royal Family.... I think they're all adorable (especially Will and Kate). The first time I saw Westminster Abbey I couldn't stop thinking about the Royal Wedding. Today, we took a tour of the Abbey. It was just like the other cathedrals with a lot of tombs (including Isaac Newton's). The most exciting part for me was when we got to the part where Kate walked down the aisle for her wedding. I was really excited! I also got a picture by the door she walked in for her wedding. The Abbey overall is beautiful. There were some really pretty stain glass windows and many important tombs there. We even saw Britain's oldest door!

After we toured the Abbey we were hungry so we headed to The Sherlock Holmes Restaurant. I had my first yorkshire pudding, it was good! From there we took our mom's on their first tube ride... it was precious! Who would ever think that I would have to show my mom around London? It's just weird to think that I'm her "tour guide" for the week. Whenever we were about to get on any public transportation Ellyn and I had to make sure that our mom's had their travel cards ready. We took them to Picadilly and then got back on the tube to head to King's Cross station. We forgot about rush hour and the tube was packed. My mom couldn't stop laughing because she didn't know where to put her hands without touching other people.

Speaking of crowds, the line for a picture at platform 9 3/4 was ridiculously long! I have never seen it so long before. So we just showed it to them, they got a picture of the platform, and then we showed them the gift shop!

We got back on the tube and it was not crowded anymore! Hooray! We headed back into the city because we wanted to show our mom's Big Ben and the London Eye lit up at night. It was then we decided to ride the London Eye. It would be cool to see it at night, plus the line was pretty short! It was harder to see all the buildings, but it was still an amazing sight!


We decided to call it a night after that. We had been on the go since early that morning!

Tomorrow is Easter. It is the first Easter I will not be spending it with my family! The past few years we have gone to my aunt's house for an Easter lunch and easter egg hunt. I will miss that this year, but I only get to spend Easter in London once, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment