Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Kingston

Today began my role of a tour guide. It started off with us trying to get back to Kingston. I had only been to Greenwich a few times, so I didn't know how to get to Waterloo from here. The front desk helped us out and told us to take the DLR to a certain stop and then take the Jubilee Line to Waterloo. Sounded pretty easy! But it took us a lot longer than planned because Adam did not have an Oyster card yet. So we bought one ticket for the DLR and then bought what we thought was an Oyster at the Jubilee ticket station. The lady made it seem like it was a good idea to buy a certain type of Oyster, so we bought it for him (when she almost rang us up for another I quickly said I don't need one. When she looked at me I said "I live here." It was so cool to say!). It was working perfect, until we got out of zones 1 and 2. Apparently the Oyster card only works in those zones. We managed to make it work today, but it was quit irritating!

We were supposed to meet Ellyn at the O2 phone store so we could put more minutes on our phones. Well, we were running late. Ellyn sent me a text saying she had already added the minutes and would be in town so to let her know when I got there. As soon as I put the minutes on my phone I called her and we decided to meet at Kings Tun for lunch... we had to show Adam the pub everyone hangs out in! After dinner, we took Adam on the small tour of Kingston. He had said he wanted to buy a nice shirt, so we went to Topman, which is the guy version of Topshop. As you may know, Topshop is on of my guilty pleasures here, so I was really excited that Adam was going to get something form Topman! We found him a nice shirt, a sweatshirt and a new hat (the one he bought in Germany ripped). There was a zip-up hoodie he considered buying, but decided to wait. He mentioned later how he kind of wanted it, so I said we could go to the Topshop on Oxford Street (they have a Topman section in there). I am so excited that he wants to go shopping for clothes while he's here!

Commercial being shot in town
We also saw a commercial being filmed in town today. I think it was for a car company, but I'm not sure. It was cool to see, but it really got in the way of our shopping!


After Topman we took him to another guilty pleasure of ours, Sblendid. It's the milkshake place in town that is amazing. I wish I could put a taste on a blog because words don't do it justice. It's just heaven in a cup. Simple as that.

We walked around Kingston some more and showed him Thames River, too. It started to get cold, so Ellyn headed back to her house to do her laundry and Adam and I headed back to Greenwich. I wanted him to have Nando's so we went to O2 arena since there is one in there. I showed him around the area of the O2 that was open (just restaurants) but I realized it is exactly like Kingston! A lot of the restaurants there are also in Kingston and I just never realized it before, including the Gourmet Burger place.

NANDO'S
We had an early night... we were exhausted from all of the walking we did! We got to take the airline and DLR home. Tomorrow we are heading into the city to do the typical tourist things. Let's hope I can be a good tour guide of the important buildings!

No comments:

Post a Comment