Saturday, March 30, 2013

Abbey Road

Adam has left England :( He actually left on his birthday... spending his 25th going through security and sitting on a plane all day is probably not what he had in mind.

On Thursday we went to Abbey Road!!! I was very excited about this because I have always been a Beatles fan! One thing that Ellyn and I have noticed is that even though London is very big, the main attractions are really close to each other. We have been close to Abbey Road the whole time and never knew it! We took a bus (Adam's first double decker!) and then got off right in front of the studios. You aren't allowed inside, or even on the parking lot, so there really isn't a lot to see. We saw the outside of the studio and, of course, the road. Naturally, we had to get a picture crossing the road. The funny thing is that this road is still used by locals, so while tourists are trying to re-create the famous picture of The Beatles, cars are trying to get to different places. There was also a lot of graffiti by the studios, a lot of it having to do with The Beatles. The only complaint I had about this little trip was that I had a Frank Sinatra song in my head. Don't get me wrong, I love Frank! It just seemed like I needed "All You Need Is Love" in my head.




From there we got a very long bus ride to Kings Cross for Platform 9 3/4. Adam isn't a huge Harry Potter fan, but we needed something quick to do before dinner. He still thought it was cool to see. I'm trying to convert him to be a real fan, it will happen in time.

We went to the O2 for Nando's, round two! It was delicious, as usual. We also stopped at the 1D World store and I was in heaven. We got on the cable cars to head over the river to the Greenwich Observatory! Remember that moment when I realized I had fallen in love with London? This was that spot. And it happened again. I can't go there without being amazed by the view!

Greenwich
On Friday my mom arrived, along with Mrs. Goncer (Ellyn's mom)! So, we went to pick them up at Heathrow. Ellyn and I were just excited to watch the arrivals of other people. There were so many little kids running up to their dads as they came out of their gate, and a lot of grandparents anxiously awaiting the arrival of their grandkids. It was all just adorable. Eventually our mom's arrived!

Random picture of Picadilly
We got on a bus and headed back to Kingston, where Adam and I had to leave to head to a football game with some of our friends from our jobs back home. After a few long bus rides (I'm not just being dramatic... they were really long bus rides!) we finally made it! We were seeing Crystal Palace. I knew football was big here, so I was excited to experience a game in person! Unfortunately, Crystal Palace lost, but it was still fun to watch the game! I decided I am going to start following Chelsea because they are the team in London that many people support. I know that's not the best reason, but I really don't know any other teams besides Manchester United and I feel like a lot of people back home like them. Now if only I had the chance to actually watch these games on tv... 

No comments:

Post a Comment