Sunday, March 10, 2013

Red Nose Day

Yes, the way I found out about this organization was from One Direction, BUT I would've found out about it eventually!

Comic Relief is a British organization that helps people in the UK and Africa. Here is how my friends and I found out about the organization:


The day after that video premiered, Comic Relief paraphernalia was everywhere! You can't walk into a Sainsbury's grocery store without seeing the red noses for sale by every cash register! I have always been a huge supporter of fundraisers (Comic Relief calls themselves  Fun-Raisers) so of course I wanted to support in anyway that I could on my budget.

First, the single by One Direction was for sale and all proceeds go towards Comic Relief. Seemed easy enough! Now whenever that song comes on my iPod I just feel good about myself because I know the money went to charity.


Second, while walking through town and looking in magazines I always saw ads for Stella McCartney shirts for sale at TK Max (yes... TK Max. Not TJ Max). These shirts were pretty cheap and at least half of the money went towards Comic Relief. So Kaley, Kara and I went to get shirts one day! And then Maddy ended up getting one a few days later. They all got Beatles shirts, but mine has Tommy Cooper on it (he was a comedian).

And lastly, the red nose. This was only one pound and it is just a cool way to remember London and the charity when I go back home! 


I am really excited about Red Nose Day, which is on Friday. That is the day that everyone wears the shirts and whatever else they have to support the cause. I'm not sure how into it people get here, but I have already seen people wear headbands with red noses sticking out of them. Some stores even sell red wigs, red hair spray, red tutus, red socks.... basically anything red that they can!

There was even a telethon on BBC One and BBC Two to help raise money for the cause. They have many British celebrities that help spread the word and support the cause. I am very excited to be able to see how my first Red Nose Day in the UK goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment