Monday, March 18, 2013

The Luck of the Irish

British people on twitter are awesome. The grocery store that I go to here is the one that supports Red Nose Day. On Friday, which was Red Nose Day, I stopped by on my way home from Uni to pick up some vegetables (I was actually craving them.... I don't even like vegetables!). While I was there I noticed a lot of the workers were wearing red onesies. They got to wear pajamas in public and no one cared. They were so lucky! So I tweeted how I would want to work at Sainsbury's because they get to wear onesies in public and not be judged for it because that's my dream. Well, Sainbury's tweeted me back saying they would love to have me on their team and sent me a link for a job application. What?? I got offered a job in London?! Who else can say that? I politely decline. I told them that I was just a study abroad student and would only be here until June, but if I ever moved back I would keep them in mind. They said deal. So there! If I ever want to move back to London I have a job! At least a part time job...

But speaking of Red Nose Day, it was really fun! I got to wear my shirt to Uni and to the store. I saw some other people wear them, and even saw a few people wearing the noses in public! I saw on Facebook later that Kingston Uni had a Red Nose Day event, but I didn't see it while I was there. That night I got to watch the Comic Relief event online. The skits were pretty funny. In a way it kind of reminded me of Saturday Night Live! They were raising money all night during the event. Singer Jessie J even shaved her head for the charity! What some of the sponsors did was pretty crazy! Louis from One Direction dyed his hair red, Nick Grimshaw (BBC 1 radio host) dyed his as well and held little charity events on his show all week. And just in case you were wondering, One Directions performance during the event was amazing. The charity raised 75.1 million pounds, which is a LOT of US dollars!

Happy Red Nose Day!
Saturday started the raining season in London, or at least in my head it did! Kaley and I had planned to meet in town around 12 because we each had a few things to do. Well, it is never a good idea when just me and Kaley are together because we always end up buying things we don't really need! Thankfully, Kaley told me that she invited Maddy as well! But here is an impressive story: I found a pair of shoes Kaley wanted for just 5 pounds. Such a good deal! And I had found a dress that I could wear to my cousins wedding this summer for just 10 pounds! I tried on the dress and it didn't look good, so I knew right away I wasn't going to get the dress. Kaley was going to get the shoes, but was still a bit hesitant. With the shoes that cheap, it just seemed to good to be true. So we looked them over and they seemed like they wouldn't last long. So, being the good friend I am, I told her not to get them. And we walked out of the store empty handed. We were proud of ourselves! Pretty sure we gave each other a high-five as we left.

We met Maddy after that and got some lunch at Nando's. I had the worst experience trying to order, though. For being in England, not many of the workers here speak clear English! I always get the same thing when I go there so I went up and ordered my usual but she kept asking me these questions and I couldn't understand it... it was a mess. Thankfully, Kaley and Maddy were right behind me in line and they pretty much ordered for me. They're always looking out for me!

Well, we wanted dessert, like usual, so we went to the milkshake place! I normally would't blog about this, expect the fact that now the worker is starting to recognize us. He laughed when he saw us approach the counter because he pretty much knows our order now. In our defense, we only go so much so we can get that free milkshake from using our Sblendid card!

What else are we to do on a rainy Saturday night than go to a movie! We saw "The Guilt Trip." Kara and Rachel met us at the theatre. None of us thought the movie was as funny as we thought it was, but what movie ever is. We went to McDonalds after that to relax for a little bit before heading home for the night.

St. Patty's Day
Top o' the morning to ya! Sunday was St. Patrick's Day and there was a parade and festival in Trafalgar Square that we decided to check out. I met Kaley and Maddy at Waterloo station at 11, and then headed to Trafalgar to celebrate being Irish! But my sad news of the day was that I found out I wasn't Irish. I knew I wasn't, but I was hoping that maybe I was just a tad Irish. My mom said no.... I was quit bummed!

The parade was really fun to watch! There were many irish step dancers, bagpipe players, and random floats. It was a very long parade, though, so after a while we decided to head over to the festival to see what was happening there and hoping it was a bit warmer! There was a stage that had some Irish musicians playing, which was cool to watch. Eventually, we couldn't take the cold anymore and headed to a restaurant for lunch.

We decided that we were too cold to stand outside all day and wanted to go back to Kingston. We just wanted to go to the pub in town because it would be warm there. We pretty much forgot it was St. Patty's Day until Maddy said we might not even get a table at the pub. We always forget that people might be at the same places we are! We still decided to try it, hoping it wouldn't be crowded. To our luck, it wasn't! We were shocked! We had plenty of options of where to sit, including our usual spot upstairs.

Maddy, Kaley and I just talked for a few hours and we realized that we are triplets. One person would say something, and then the other two would freak out because they were thinking the same thing. I'm not joking when I say this. It happened so many times and about the weirdest topics, too. You know how people say they always wanted to find their un-biological twin? Well, we decided that we are un-biological triplets.

This upcoming week is going to be full of homework. Spring break officially starts after class on Friday! But before then I have a lot of homework and laundry to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment