Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Royal Treatment

Have you ever seen a castle in real life? Because that's what I did today! Kingston Uni had a trip to see Windsor Castle, which is the residence of the Queen! I'm not going to lie... I was looking for her while I was there.

Windsor Castle
When we first got to the castle we had to go through security airport style, then went to get the audio-guide. After that we were free to walk around and through the castle as we wish (the parts that were open to the public, at least). Being fascinated with anything royal I was excited all day! My friend Sarah also loves the Royal Family. We were on the lookout for Prince Harry all day. The castle was beautiful. We got to see many of the best rooms in the castle (such as where all of the big dinners are held and the queen's throne!). I have never been so excited about a building before. We could not take pictures inside the castle, but we could take pictures of the outside, and around the town as well!


We also got to walk through St. George's Chapel. There were many graves throughout the building. Some of the dates dated as far back as the 1400's! While walking through the church parts of it reminded me of Westminster Abbey, and Sarah said she felt like she was walking down the aisle like at Kate and William's wedding.

After the chapel we went into town to look at all of the shops. My friend Ellyn and I wanted to have tea and scones... we've been in England for almost a week and haven't yet! We found a little cafe and had a mini tea party of our own. It was our first time having scone's ever. We had tea the "proper" way by adding sugar and milk.

Tea time with Ellyn!
We walked around the different shops for a while (found a LOT of postcards we liked) and before we knew it it was time to head back to Kingston! We had not eaten a lot today so by the time we got back we were ready for dinner. All of our other friends had a big lunch so only Ellyn and I were hungry. We decided to go to Nando's, which is a popular food chain over here. We got seated at our table but then had no idea how to order. We tried to figure it out but then eventually had to ask the people next to us, who explained we go up to the register, place our order and give them our table number. So much for trying to not look like American's!
Nando's

Since we had such a long day of walking around Windsor Castle we were exhausted. We met up with our friends at the post office, put more pounds on our oyster cards (what you use to get on the public transportation here) and then decided to go home.

Today might have been one of my favorite days here so far. The weather was perfect, we got to see a royal castle, had a tea party and got to spend all day with my friends! With classes starting in a few days I have to start getting into school mode. My main concern is there is so much to explore in London, how am I supposed to focus on school now?

No comments:

Post a Comment