Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Brit Awards

Let me just start off by saying the things I have been doing to see celebrities here is only because I don't have opportunities like this back home!

Today was the Brit Awards! This is similar to the Grammys. One Direction was going to be there so we had already planned on going. As a bonus Ed Sheeran had tweeted on Monday how he would be in London just for today to present an award at the Brits. This is the only time he would be here while I'm here because he is on tour in the US the rest of the time (of course... the one time I come to London one of my favorite british singers isn't here!).

We got to the red carpet around 1:30 and the stars were not supposed to start showing up until 4:30. We wanted to make sure we had a good spot! We ended up having second row at the red carpet... not bad! The red carpet was set up very strange. Only the VIP guests walked by the fans, the interviews were on the opposite side. The celebrities chose if they wanted to walk to the fans.

The first person we saw was Ed. I about died! I heard Kara say "Laura, it's Ed!" and I screamed and about jumped on Rachel. I just didn't know what to do with myself and I hadn't even seen him yet! Where we were standing we could only see the stars as they were about to head in the door for more interviews. But I saw Ed! I only saw him for a few seconds before he went in but I saw him. I did see him again when he was inside because the walls were glass.

The next big person was saw was Taylor Swift. The coolest thing about her is that she skipped the interviews to visit the fans! Since I was in the second row it was hard to ask for an autograph or picture with her so I just took pictures of her instead. My hands were cold, but I needed proof that I was actually seeing famous people here!
Taylor Swift
More famous people were walking into O2 Arena, but not many came out to the fans. Then the screaming started. One Direction had arrived. And the fan-girling began for Kaley and me. The first one I saw was Zayn. He walked right in front of us to sign autographs. Then Louis went right next to him! And then Niall came! I think I did some kind of yelp when I saw him, but thankfully there were so many girls screaming that he didn't hear it. He is my favorite so I had to focus on getting a decent picture of him. He was to the right of us and was directly in front of my at one point! Liam showed up at some point, but he was there for so little that I didn't even get a picture of him. Harry was the last one we saw, he is Kaley's favorite. He went down the whole line to sign autographs and when he left he blew the area we were standing in a kiss. Kaley was in tears she was so happy!

Louis
Zayn
Niall
Harry 
I had written my twitter name and number on two pieces of paper, one for Ed and one for Niall. There was no way for Ed to get it since he didn't come to see the fans but the girl in front of my took the paper for Niall. She almost got it to him but then he had to go. I was so close to having any kind of contact with him!

We waited longer for more stars to appear, but they kept going straight inside and not walking to the fans. We saw Rita Ora, Ne-Yo, Little Mix, Tom Daley (Olympic Diver), Robbie Williams, Mumford and Sons, Rizzle Kicks, Paloma Faith, Labrinth, JLS, Conor Maynard and so many others!

Olly Murs was also there! He basically ran out to the fans. By this point Rachel and I had gotten front row because the girls in front of us were lucky enough to have tickets to the show so they had to leave to find their seats. As Olly was making his way down the line I got my camera out to take a picture with him. He was so close, then his management made him got he other way. Just my luck! I wasn't to worried though because Kaley, Sarah and I have tickets to his concert in about 2 weeks!
Olly

As we were leaving it started to set in what had happend. I had seen Ed and One Direction, two of my favorite artists, in the same night in my favorite city. How did my life end up like this? I almost had to sit down in the middle of the floor and cry because I was so happy! But I didn't. I held it together (barely) and we went into O2 arena to find Nando's for dinner (I'm telling you, I am in love with this place!). This probably wasn't the best idea because Nando's in Niall's favorite restaurant so all I could think is that I was at his favorite restaurant while we were both in the same building. It was just too much for me to handle!

Kaley and I can't believe what happened!
We have only been here for a month and had done so much! It's weird to think that two weeks ago we were at the same party as Liam and Louis, but we had just seen the rest of the boys and Ed Sheeran. Kaley just kept saying that we were the luckiest girls alive and I completely agree! I absolutely love my life in London.

2 comments:

  1. Hiiii Laura, my name is Meghan. I'm just creeping on your blog because I also studied in Kingston (fall 2011) and the study abroad facebook page just posted a link for it. I'm so jealous of the cool experiences you're having and it's making me miss my time there so much! Your stories are awesome and I really like reading about them :) The brit awards sounded SO awesome, I love all the same artists as you too since discovering them all when I was over there, Ed Sheeran and Olly Murs especially! That's awesome that you have tickets to see Olly in a few weeks, I can't wait for him to go on a big tour of here in the US! His single Troublemaker has been on the radio a bunch here in Mount Pleasant recently (I freak out everytime lol)! Im definitely looking forward to reading more about your time in Kingston. Where do you stay there? I stayed in Thames Ditton which was close to the Surbiton Station (which I saw you use for trains as well). Enjoy your time, it goes quick!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!! The Brits were amazing!!! It was just so surreal to be that close to some of my favorite artists! And I'm staying in Surbiton Surrey. I love it here and don't even want to think about going back yet :)

      Delete